spca for snail-starvation?

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

spca for snail-starvation?

Postby Donya on Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:11 pm

Does anyone know if the spca or humain society will do anything regarding fish/snails in petstores? Or if there's a similar organisation that would deal with unusual animal abuse reports? I realized when I first thought about this several weeks ago it might sound pretty bogus to most people if you rang up and reported "snail abuse" but I got pushed over the edge yesterday when I baught a gorgeous red-brown bridgesii with purple/pink highlights, intending to breed him...only to bring him home and find out that he'd been starved to near-death! He was so weak he could barely move his foot and he'd been starved to the point of digesting away the muscle in his foot (muscle digestion is a known last-resort to stay alive in pretty much all animals facing long-term severe starvation), and his foot looks like it's from a snail half his size. I thought he was dead several times exept he'd wiggle the edge of his foot for me if I poked him enough. He's better now, eating well but is gonna need a LOT of tlc before he's even able to compete with the other snails for food. Dunno how long its gonna be before I can even think of breeding him, even if his foot recovers completely.

I talked to the store people today about that incident, and fortunately they freaked out because they thought the snails were "happy because they were roaming and munching the glass so much", and they promply dropped two very large pieces of zuchini (sp?) in the tank and said they'd make sure there was very regular vegi-feeding. But, not all petstore people I've talked to about that issue have been so concerned about the animals' wellbeing. It makes me so angry! I feel like there's got to be some place to report that sort of thing to when the people won't feed the poor things and leave them to that point of starvation :angry:
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:42 am

oh no poor snail! :cry: i recently informed at Petco lady that I knew pretty well from shopping there so often about snails. She was very interested in learning about them so I pointed her to this site :D
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jodi on Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:13 am

can i ask what kind of fish that is on your post SGcvn69? that's gorgeous!

also, i'm glad i read this. i just bought a snail tonight from our local petsmart. i'll have to put some extra food in there for it. someone mentioned zuchini. is that a good choice for a snail or is there a better veggie to give it? i have three goldfish and two danios in the tank also so it can't be anything that would be harmful to them. Thanks! :D
jodi

Postby jennybean on Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:44 am

i dont know if they would do anythign about fish/snails (I dotn know why, they are creatures tooo....) but if you go to the peta site (im not a peta person, but i like to see whats on there now and then) and there is an article about PETCO--saying how badly they treat the animmals, even the fish---and if you actually read the article, the first store they mention on the list by towns/states is MY local petco!!!! i actually laughed when i saw it... because i know first hand how awful their conditions are--- i'll drive to the next town over to go to a diffferent store... but check it out, its pretty interesting.
jennybean
Member snail
Member snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:04 pm

jodi: thanks that's one of my crown tail bettas flaring at his own image in the mirror. be careful of putting an apple snail in with goldfish. the goldfish will nip their antennaes off.

jennybean: what a coincidence! you would think the director of the store would handle it better...
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailLVR03 on Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:02 pm

Can anyone help me how to get a pic of one of my snails where SGcvn69 has the crown tail betta?? Thanks

~Cheryl
If you stop talking for one second, you'll hear the echo of your words...
snailLVR03
Member snail
Member snail

PetCo critter abuse

Postby patricia379 on Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:49 pm

Jennybean, you should really report that particular PetCo, as the abuse will continue if someone doesn't report it.

If you just can't face the manager to complain, write to the head honcho of PetCo and give the location of the store and the conditions you have found the critters in.

The ASPCA will be glad to assist also.

And last but not least contact PETA

"Is the heart of any less value because it beats under a covering of fur, feathers or scales (or in this case shell)?"
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:32 pm

Cheryl: you have to have a picture of your snail up on a webpage somewhere. right click on your photo if you are on a windows based computer and click view photo. you should be seeing just the photo without anything fancy. copy the URL and then come into applesnail.net. log in. and go up to the top of the page in the discussions forums and click on profile. i believe it is at the bottom where you can insert your URL where your picture is and set it up so it shows. if u have any questions just ask. hope this helps.
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailLVR03 on Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:30 pm

Thanks for the help...unfortunately I don't have a website, I wouldn't even know where to begin on how to start one...do you know if you can make one thru Yahoo...?? Your crown tail betta is beautiful too...I never knew there were so many different kinds of betta fish. Can they all be in the same tank? Or do you keep them separated?

If telling the manager face to face doesn't work, try writing a letter that doesn't seem offensive or mean, jsut get to the point. I did that with my lfs and it worked, now their snails safe. Hopefully the same will work with your Petco. It is ridiculous to treat snails that way just because they don't understand them or necessarily like them. The employee that helps when I want to buy a snail always says something on the lines of "You like snails!? What do you use them for?" Some people even ask me if I raise them to eat! Not many people have the compassion and interest of snails...I'm glad I found this website to be able to talk to people who feel the same way I do...

~Cheryl
snailLVR03
Member snail
Member snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:52 pm

Cheryl: you can sign up on yahoo for a files folder. it's in "briefcase" on the main page. or you can do a webshots thing although i believe i didn't have much luck w/ webshots. another is to check w/ your ISP to see if you have free webs space or sign up for a quickie geocities account.

there are tons of different types of betta and tons of different colors that will make you drool. the males cannot be housed together they will fight each other to death if you do. i have 3 in 3 seperate containers. two crown tails and one veil tail.
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailLVR03 on Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:56 pm

Thank you so much...I'm going to try the yahoo file folder thing or the geocities. I wanna be able to show off my snails too, there are some really nice pics of them. :D

At my lfs I saw a beautiful yellowish colored betta...I wanted to bring it home, they are SOO beautiful!!

~Cheryl
snailLVR03
Member snail
Member snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:43 pm

yup

yeah the yellows are pretty hard to come by...my yellow crown tail has a bit of blue on the fins too. you shoulda brought him home! ;)
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailLVR03 on Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:42 am

I'm trying to talk my mom into one now :D ...she always feels bad for them when we see them in like 3 oz of water!! How long do they live? Are they better in a fish bowl or aquarium, what size is good? I can't find any good websites about them, are there any good ones??
snailLVR03
Member snail
Member snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:26 pm

haha yeah there are some i don't know what though. the more room they have to swim around the prettier they are, but they cannot be housed with fin nipping fish or other long tailed fish that they might mistake for another betta and fight them to death. so....here are your options....you can do a good sized fish bowl w/o filter, but you will have to change it fairly often when the water gets gross...the bigger the less often you have to change it, but more water to haul. a small say 1 gallon tank/bowl is good for 1 fish, although i have heard them growing up to 4" long! if you get a filter you have to make sure the water coming back in or the intake tube isn't fast. it's hard for them to swim as it is with long fins w/o having to battle a strong current. i've found they don't like airstones...too much water movement. remember they live in rice patties in the wild, but with much shorter fins...so they like calm waters. muddy, but calm...that doesn't mean dirty. they do like clean water or their fins will rot. they live for quite a few years...i haven't been fortunate enough to have one for very long, but i intend to keep my crowntails for as long as i can! hopefully longer than previous ones!
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailLVR03 on Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:38 pm

I have a 3 gallon eclipse aquarium...i dunno how familiar with them you are, but are they too strong for one?? I'm thinking about getting a division plate thing and separating the 3 gal. into two 1.5 gal....would they drive each other nuts threw the glass? would that work at all?? They just eat the reg. betta food right, or do they have other special foods for a treat?? ooh and where can i find a crowntail!!!!

~Cheryl
snailLVR03
Member snail
Member snail

Next

Return to Snail abuse