Selling snails

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Selling snails

Postby allnatural on Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:01 am

I was just reading some of the posts in the snail abuse section. I have a local fish store that is interested in some of my snails, but now I am leary of it. I want to be sure that they are fed.

What I may do is keep the store supplied with algae wafers for the snails. It can't take too much time to drop a couple in the tanks each day. I know that this probably seems dumb, but even though the snails would now belong to the store, they are still my babies. I would like customers to see healthy snails and want to buy them thus creating a demand for more of my snails.

I am also thinking of giving out "Information Cards" that could be given to customers about feeding the snail. Most people think that all they eat is algae. I know, until I found this site, that is what I thought.

Sounds like a plan, or most likely a fantasy. What do you think?

Does anyone have any experience with selling their snails locally through a newspaper ad?

--Tim
allnatural
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:18 pm

The information cards sounds like a good idea. If you're lucky, you could probably get the store people to feed them well, I managed to get a petsmart to feed all of its snails (they fed them a LOT too lol snail feeding frenzy). Is it a 1-person run private store or a really big petstore? There's probably better luck to be found in smaller stores.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby allnatural on Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:56 pm

This one is a small privately owned store. The owner just took over in July, and is very friendly. He does have 3 or 4 employees.
allnatural
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:52 am

that should be easier to educate...maybe they can also post a lil card next to the tank with a holder containing the rest of the cards.
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Skadivitnir on Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:05 pm

I have a horror story to share.

My boyfriend just moved down to Oxford, MS to teach at OleMiss. I went to visit him and we went to check out the LFS there. Very nice store, well kept, animals are all happy-looking, no dead fish. I asked him if Apple snails are legal in Mississippi. He said "no" because they are/were one of the top rice producers in the country (could be why they're illegal in CA as well). About three years ago when the state decided to ban the snails, a couple of agents from one of the state departments (fish & wildlife, agriculture, I can't remember...) Came to the store with no warning, went back, took all the snails out of the tanks and poured salt on them right there in front of the store owner. He was horrified, and so was I for hearing the story. I'm bringing my snails with me when I move down there in a year, but I'm kinda nervous now.
Skadivitnir
Member snail
Member snail

Postby snailaholic on Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:12 pm

just plain AWFUL :err: :err: :err:
~karla~
Why didn't anyone tell me I wouldn't be able to stop at just one snail?!....or 19.....or 137...
snailaholic
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:51 am

where's peta when you need them?!

Postby allnatural on Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:02 am

What an awful story. I wonder if they were brigs or canas?
--Tim
Toledo, OH
allnatural
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Guest on Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:10 am

uh oh....I live in mississippi and I got 2 applesnails in the mail.....

Postby Skadivitnir on Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:06 pm

Just don't tell anyone from any of the state departments and you'll be fine, you lawbreaker you... :) When I move there, I'm bringing my three snails with me.
Skadivitnir
Member snail
Member snail

Postby allnatural on Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:16 am

I am not sure that is against the law to OWN the snails, just to sell them in a store, or let them loose. You need to check the law for that state. You should be able to find something on it on your state's website in the Wildlife/Natural Resources division.
--Tim
Toledo, OH
allnatural
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby terribryant on Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:19 pm

In Texas it's against the law to even own Cana's. Of course I bougt mine here :x

I am not about to kill them so they will live out their lives with me!

Terri
terribryant
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SnailMomma on Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:45 pm

I bought my first three yellow snails here in California. Of course, they are Canas. When I had too many babies, the only LFS here bought all 190 for store credit all 190. She had no idea Cana's and Brigs are illegal here. I think EVERY state where snails are illegal (five in all I think) sell them at some store or another.
:snail: Momma
SnailMomma
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby wyofish on Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:11 am

I've got an information sheet that's going to be on the snail tanks in the store so people know how to take care of them, as well as giving some snail cookies whenever someone buys snails. I'm considering putting this site on the information sheet as a good place to learn more :wink: I think if you instruct the store on their care it should be effective, small stores are actually concerned about their critters most of the time because you can't stay in business if you can't make sales.
wyofish
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: ...

Postby PaganBaby13 on Mon May 08, 2006 11:36 pm

wyofish wrote:I've got an information sheet that's going to be on the snail tanks in the store so people know how to take care of them, as well as giving some snail cookies whenever someone buys snails. I'm considering putting this site on the information sheet as a good place to learn more :wink: I think if you instruct the store on their care it should be effective, small stores are actually concerned about their critters most of the time because you can't stay in business if you can't make sales.

great! I'd like to see this info sheet, because if it's okay I'd like to try and give it to Walmarts around here...D:<
PaganBaby13
Member snail
Member snail

Return to Snail abuse