Fear Factor -- eating live snails

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Postby airwen on Wed May 05, 2004 1:03 am

Er.. woah. That last one.. fish should get rights but not like that, I wouldn't want to have to give mine up *clings to fish*
-airwen
airwen
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby patricia379 on Wed May 05, 2004 6:32 pm

Well I must admit lately I've been feeling torn about keeping aquarium fish.

Especially the ones that are caught in the wild and shipped internationally (many die enroute).

I guess if one was a purist onewould be against the breeding and selling of any critter...in a perfect world. :-?
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby nannasmom on Wed May 05, 2004 7:28 pm

In a perfect world, indeed. :)
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got..."
nannasmom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Gastro on Wed May 05, 2004 11:23 pm

patricia379 wrote:Well I must admit lately I've been feeling torn about keeping aquarium fish.

Especially the ones that are caught in the wild and shipped internationally (many die enroute).

I guess if one was a purist onewould be against the breeding and selling of any critter...in a perfect world. :-?

Have you ever used a animal related product? Leather? Hamburger? Cod (going extinct)? Milk?

A lot more fish die in the fishing industry than for aquariums. And even if some die inroute most live much longer than they would in the wild.
Gastro
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby patricia379 on Thu May 06, 2004 2:17 am

Yep (animal related products) it is hard to avoid them, try as one might.....even if you are vegan if you use camera film or drive a car..porcine products in those two...I try to avoid leather products..you really have to read the labels....

But it will take changing the mindset of the entire human population to put a stop to other specie abuse. Heck we can't even treat each other very humanely!! :err: :err: :err:
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby airwen on Thu May 06, 2004 5:24 am

Exactly! I read this article called "Losing Nemo" in some scientific magazine about the aquarium fish trade, it was really interesting. Really.. porcupine? (One we accidently ran over a porcupine.. wahh :cry: ) Yeah, I know more fish die cause of fishing- so I don't eat them. I refuse, which other people don't like too much, but it's for the good of the fishes. :)
-airwen
airwen
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Thu May 06, 2004 1:05 pm

Porcine=of pigs or hogs :wink:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Leonora on Thu May 06, 2004 2:00 pm

Reading the posts about Fear Factor made me so sick and disgusted that I didn't have the courage to write about it until now. Fortunately, I didn't watch the show, but I was so shocked by the thought of these sweet little creatures being eaten alive that I had a nightmare last night. These people, will do anything for money and that revolts me :angry: :angry: :angry:

Leonora.
"Find all beautiful colors here!.
Leonora
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby patricia379 on Thu May 06, 2004 5:55 pm

One more reason I love this site so much...kind hearted folks here. :D
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Peta

Postby Kay on Tue May 25, 2004 3:20 pm

One thing peta stands for is that no human own an animal, Dogs, cats and yes snails. They are on the other side of the spectrum.

Fear factor search for exotic foods for thier stunts, so what is horrible to you is acceptable somewhere else. You can read about it on thier website.

I saw that episode and felt painful sorrow for the snails. But other family members thought nothing of it.

I eat meat, but if I had to kill my own food, I don't think I could do it. Makes you think.

One thing for sure Nobody will tell me that I can't have pets. They are trying to take this freedom from you. Like we are all children, and because of some bad people we all get grounded.

Kay
Kay
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby patricia379 on Fri May 28, 2004 6:36 pm

Yes my life would not be as full as it is, without other species in my life. I feel sorry for folks that do not appreciate other species that share this planet with us, and respect them.

I do have cats and fish and snails. I do feel torn (and bad!) that I feed my cats meat products, as that means I am contributing to the pain and suffering of others to feed the cats and yes, my fish who get flake food made from other species.

I am looking into properly balanced veggie food for my cats. I know of the fact they need certain amino acids to survive and remain healthy. Already veggie foods for dogs are on the market.

Yes, if we were purists, I guess to be totally out of the loop of interfering with the freedoms and lives of other species we would not have them as companions. (I've stopped using the terms 'pets' and 'own'.) Anyone that has other specie companions knows that they 'own' us!!! :D

I don't eat most animal products...yes, some of the foods I eat contain eggs.Ice cream which I love, contributes to the factory farming and yes enslavement of cows...it is a hard road to travel trying to be caring and compassionate.

I was heartened to find the folks here, that love the snails and are outraged at any mistreatment of them. We all can do the best we can to be kind and gentle and speak out when we do see abuse.

I'm watching my Canas grow (I've always had Bridgs) huge and crow about them to others who give me a look that says "Are you nuts or what?" lol!!! I don't care, I am daily amazed at the beauty and ingenious adaption to the world they live in, of the snails and for that matter all other species, even the ones who scare me...like sharks and alligators and other things that go 'bump' in the dark depths of the sea. :err:
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

well said

Postby Kay on Fri May 28, 2004 8:03 pm

Patricia,

I really loved your post. And I feel the way you do! If your cat reverted back to nature though the cat would hunt and eat meat. So don't feel bad about feeding your car meat products.

Kay
Kay
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: well said

Postby patricia379 on Sat May 29, 2004 5:59 pm

Kay wrote:Patricia,

I really loved your post. And I feel the way you do! If your cat reverted back to nature though the cat would hunt and eat meat. So don't feel bad about feeding your car meat products.

Kay

thanks! :)

Yes Mom nature created a spiral of one species living off another to survive. Other species have no choice in the matter, but we do.
I love watching the nature programs, but when it comes to the hunting part, I find something else to occupy myself with until it has passed.

Many is the time my cats were probably not happy with me, when they'd proudly bring in their latest catch and I'd turn it loose or nurse it back to health. Cats always try and feed you..."Thanks for the thought puss, but no thanks!!" :wink:
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby nonamethefish on Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:03 am

I personally dislike PETA. They might have had a good cause, but they seem to be on overkill now. Esp. the fish thing. Animals eat and get eaten. I think the fututre lies in aquaculture, as we simply can't continue taking fish like we are and expect them to continue spontaneously generating.

However, I don't like Fear Factor either...not (just) because of how the animals end up in there, but also because it teaches that animals don't deserve much respect and you can play with them/kill them whenever you want. So, next time someone see's a frog or whatnot on the sidewalk...they could care less.
nonamethefish
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby airwen on Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:17 am

Exactly.. I hate how they just walk over all the animals and their parts.. not literally of course. I think PETA has a good cause and all but sometimes they just go overboard on it. Of course my friend has a great sticker from them that says "Cut class not frogs". I mean, pets are beneficial to health and quality of life for humans, and I'm sure the benefits are not one-sided either. I think their hearts are in the right place but they just go about it wrongly.

I mean, I love to watch horse racing, own dogs and fish and snails, but they frown upon all the stuff I love, even though I am a genuine animal lover.
-airwen
airwen
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

PreviousNext

Return to Snail abuse