Changing Wal*Mart one store at a time

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Changing Wal*Mart one store at a time

Postby pbgroupie on Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:08 pm

Just left my local Wal*Mart feeling like I stood up for our snail friends. I was trying to find a new nursery tank and the newbie on the floor couldn't answer my questions (no surprise--first day on the floor) so he brought in the section manager.

Got to chatting with the "youngster" about the fish section and told him how it had started to look much nicer in the past few weeks. He explained that he just took over a month ago. We chatted about the tanks, dead fish, and finally the apple snails (or should I say what was left of them). He actually listened to what this old-timer had to say! :o He asked what to feed the snails (to his credit he had asked the fish supplier and the guy shrugged his shoulders and said "I don't know" :angry: ). I pulled the foods off the shelf and told him what, and how often to feed them, etc.

I showed him which fish the snails were compatable with, showed him the fish w/ ick and told him he'd have to move the snails when he treated the fish (central filtration units...grrrrrrrr :x ) And, of course, I told him to read up on them at the applesnail.net site! He really seemed to care, but had no leadership (formal training) as to how to deal with his section.

I'm going back in two days to pick up my new tank (out of stock of course) so I'll see how it goes. Hopefully we can all make a difference--even if it's only one store at a time. :yes:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby snailstreaks on Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:15 am

Yep.... I invaded Walmart yesterday too and did something similar. All the large comets had ich... so did all the feeders. I cornered the guy and kinda let him have it. I found that all the tanks except for 4 had dead fish in them. 1 tank all of the fish were in shock.... it went downhill from there. I stood there as I watched the guy feed the snails. It seems they will only give flake food.... same stuff for every tank. :toomuch: There was a jade in the snail tank... and the water was nasty. I am going to call the manager tomorrow. They really tick me off!

~ Anne
snailstreaks
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Gastropod on Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:53 am

Good for you guys! I've tried many times to get my wal mart to change, but they wouldn't listen--even when I worked there! I'm thinking of going corporate with my complaints. Maybe the higher ups with have something to say.

You guys deserve another round of applause for your good deeds!
*~*~TRISTESSA~*~*
@ii Snails are the best @ii
Gastropod
Member snail
Member snail

Postby airwen on Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:55 am

Mwahahah *goes into hysterics* Kill, killl!!!! Ahem.

Yeah, stick up for them. Jades? I'm jealous. I've never been in a Wal MArt store before, and I don't intend to, no matter what colors of snails they have :angry: . However, if I was to let them have it, there'd be lots of swearing involved, which I can't do around my parents, which are always with me at my various LFS's. Can't wait to go to Petco by myself tomorrow, they're going to be sent home in fits. Hehehe *cackles*
-airwen
airwen
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailstreaks on Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:15 am

Sigh... I won't but animals from Walmart.. it just perpetuates the problem. In the past I got african dwarf frogs from there... they had tumors. I was trying to do a good deed... but I realized that the only thing they care about is money. They discontinue merchandise that isn't selling... my thoughts are don't give them my money... point out the ill animals in a very loud voice... so if management doesn't do anything the people looking at the animals won't be tempted to buy. It is kinda funny now to watch them scurry as I announce... "Hey! All these fish have ich! Are you treating it because the last time I bought fish from you my whole tank got sick and most died. Those fish meds are expensive are you treating them or just selling sick fish?"

They know who I am now... they thought they could just go far down the other aisle and ignore me... but I just talked reaaaallly loud then. I have been taking tips from my 6yr old... if they don't answer ... yell.... and repeat yourself as often as needed until you get an answer.

I would love to write in to the corporate office if you have the address. Maybe if they get enough letters they will do something. Until then I will just try my best to be as obnoxious as possible and spread the word.

~ Anne
snailstreaks
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:05 am

*Sigh* I went back to Wal*Mart today to pick up my nursery tank. I'm almost sorry I went. The poor guy that is in charge of the fish section was happy to see me, but for all the wrong reasons.

Since I was there two days ago, all of the tanks crashed and over 100 fish died. The few that were still alive had fin rot (or missing fins altogether), sores, and ick. We went over the tank tests, and all seemed to be in normal ranges. Then he started to explain the tank's filtration systems as he understood it (from reading the instruction books). Apparently, they add over 1 pound of salt once a week to all the tanks (9 tanks about 29 gal. each) and Melafix 3x a week (on Wed, Thurs, & Fri). They use bio balls (not my speciality) but never take the carbon cartridges out when they dose for illness (at least once a week). It continually brings in fresh water (city water) and takes out the old. He said he puts in stress coat 3x a week per the written store instructions.

Poor guy was really upset too because all the tanks were cloudy (wonder why?), the fish were "dropping like flies", and he has a new shipment coming in on Friday. I really felt sorry for him because all he knows about the tanks is what he's read in the books and flyers the store has given him. There is no advice from an expert, and they are literally killing the fish and snails with their lack of knowledge.

The only good thing I came away with is that the young man really cared that the fish were dying and wanted to do something, ANYTHING, to correct the problem. I can't find it in my heart to blame him, but I'm seeing red when it comes to his supervisors and the store's policies in general.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby airwen on Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:10 am

That's nice that he cared. At least he was upset.. wow. Bad conditions. I was just at Petco- my respect for them has raised, they had (get this) blues, ivories, golds, AND wild types! And huge Marisas in so many colors, there was this beautiful iridescent gold one. Anyways, I bet that guy didn't even care. All his fish were even more obviously harmed, missing fins and such.
-airwen
airwen
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby amberbaz on Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:31 am

i shop at wal-mart often for my everyday stuff and find myself in the fish section for most of the time im there ahahaha. i bought a lot of fish from them before i finally got smart and realized maybe it wasnt my fault that all my fish were dying. i started going to the local pet store and have had much better luck, in fact i have only lost a few. however i have 2 snails- one purchased at walmart and one purchased at the pet store. the one from walmart is doing amazing and has doubled in size since i got him 4 months ago. the snail from the pet store is doing alright but she hasnt grown much at all and has unusual shell growth. whenever i make comments about the conditions of the walmart tanks to the employees i get basically the same answer, " it isnt our fault. maybe u shouldnt pay so much attention cuz u are being picky." although those arent the exact words i get thats what they amount to. i get comments like those from the employees a lot when i complain about the painted fish the store carries. it was funny kinda cuz before i realized the fish were painted i purchased some and then got home and was surfing the net for info and found all this info bout painting fish and i had never even thought people could think of such stupid ideas. i just assumed that fish came is pretty colors. anyways sorry for the rant i kinda went off on a tangent there.
amberbaz
Little snail
Little snail

Postby tkchill02 on Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:40 pm

I also used to purchase fish at my local Wal-mart....
I complained several times about the tanks,the fish seemed to have ich or fungus. Tanks were overgrown with bright green algae all over the tanks,so thick that u could not see in. Thats JUST the beginning!
People were actually still buying these fish! Most fish were contagious so they were obviously unaware that it would infect their other tanks. :angry:
I went straight to corporate & wrote a very long & informative e-mail on the condition of the tanks. (Which is found at www.WALMART.com.)
I couldn't have been clearer if I had a pic.
I had a response(phone call) from the Local wal-mart manager in that dept. within a week. We had a LONG conversation. I threatened to place an article in the local newspaper with pics of this abuse. This was about 6 months ago.The tanks were cleaned at the time but are going downhill again. I hate going past these tanks when I purchase food & supplies,its so aggravating!
95% of the time I try to stay out of Wal-mart completely but sometimes its hard.

I agree with snailstreaks. JUST DO NOT BUY THE FISH & they- hopefully will stop selling them. It seems that they would lose more $$ by killing the fish??!!
EDUCATION- why is it so hard to train these employees! It makes me SO angry & I am so sorry but I had to let it out. :toomuch: AGHHHHH!!!!!
*** "Atrocities are not less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called medical research."- GEORGE B. SHAW (1856-1950)***
tkchill02
Little snail
Little snail

Postby Mamaschild on Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:23 pm

Everytime Walmart comes up, I cringe :err:

When I first started with fish, over 3 years ago, I went to Walmart because they had the best prices on the small tank "Kits". Well, I went through about a half dozen fish, including 3 Plecos, before enyone told me they needed warmer water. BUT, no one mentioned stocking levels. :angry: I had a 5g, and told them that. They sold me a Pair of Mollies, Pair of Swordtails, Pair of Platies, and a comon Plec :oops: 6 days later, I had fry, and was loosing every fish in the tank. I learned, thank goodness.

I went looking for a few female Guppies once, just on a whim, I stopped by when I was there. My Mom happened to be with me....I told my mom, "let's go, they don't have any females". A girl working there immediately popped up and said, "We have lots of females, they're in there", pointing to the tank I had just looked at. I went back and looked again, I could have missed them :-? NOPE, all males. I told her that, and she said, "Well, how can you tell?" :o

If she can't even tell the difference between male and female GUPPIES???? :err:

Anyway, had to share that :)
Currently running 9 tanks, 3 x 20g, 26g, 2 x 40g, 2 x 55g and 125g
Mamaschild
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Milky on Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:39 pm

My walmart fish section is horrible, dead fish diseases, all the fun stuff..

they justopened a new store and didnt bother to cycle the tanks so the water was all ammonia cloudy and there were dead fish everywhere (this was when i rescued my 2 newest goldies) I had to show the sales guy how to (and where to get) the supplies, and how to catch the fish and put water in the bag and all that fun stuff, i basically did it myself..

stoopid walamrt..

at least my walamrt doesnt carry apple snails... :-?
Milky
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

wanted to post something positive here

Postby palrthanyu on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:21 am

Hey everyone,
I read through the threads about how awful the Walmarts around everyone are. Since I've got a major exam tomorrow, I didn't feel like studying, lol. I had to go to Walmart to get a 10gal for my mice who keep escaping from their wire cage so I decided to really inspect the fish department while I was there. I studied every tank they had...must have looked like a freak, lol. I always thought the department looked ok, but after reading this board, I got a little scared.

I'm really elated to report that there were 24 small tanks of assorted tropical fish, snails, shrimp, dwarf frogs and koi and one large tank with feeder goldfish and every single one of the tanks was nice and clean. The fish were well fed and everyone looked healthy. The snails were gold and black and they ranged from pea size to quarter size. They had better shell growth than the ones at Petsmart and there wasn't a speck of algae on their shells. The ADF's were teeny but they looked real healthy too.

I saw one dead fish, a swordtail, and it looked like it had only recently passed. They even had a nursery net setup in one tank and it was full of healthy looking fry. Another tank had babies in it too...big enough to be sold but you could tell they were really young. I took a kinda crappy pic of the fry tank with my cell phone just because I couldn't believe it.

I checked out the betta display. All the bettas are in large cups of clean, treated water. Not one looked sick and there wasn't a dead one to be found. I still hate that they sell the bettas like that, and that they sell the clawed frogs but at least they seemed well cared for. The frogs had nice clean water and looked like they had recently been given some food. There were care sheets next to the frogs and bettas too. Even the plants in the big tanks were healthy.

I'm in complete amazement and want to ask who cares for the pet department to congratulate them on the good work. :D
Those who dream by day are cognisant of many things which escape those who only dream by night - Edgar Allan Poe
------------------------------------------------------
Well behaved women rarely make history
palrthanyu
Member snail
Member snail

Location: Iowa for school, Massachusetts is where I call home

Postby luvfishies on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:57 am

palrthanyu, it's so good to hear that. My local WallyWorld tried, I know. The gal there last year really wanted to learn, and we would talk for ages every time I was in there.

Sadly, she's no longer there, and the fish look awful again.
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby PaganBaby13 on Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:22 pm

I'm glad that there was someone at walmart willing to learn about the care of snails. poor things! Go you, though, educating the uneducated! (which is usually not their fault...)
PaganBaby13
Member snail
Member snail

Postby AznDeath on Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:53 am

Wal-Mart = Dead Fish and plants :yes:
AznDeath
Little snail
Little snail

Next

Return to Snail abuse