Fake Blue Snails?

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Fake Blue Snails?

Postby Di on Sun May 23, 2004 10:50 pm

I visited PetCo recently “just looking” and found some incredible blue snails. I already had six, but these were different They were a soft pale opaque blue with no hint of green. Just perfectly sky blue. I took four home. After about a week I noticed the shell growing out did not appear to be the same colour. Then part of the top shell layer came off on two of the snails. The shell underneath is quite dark.

Does anyone have any idea what was done to the shells of these snails? I am afraid whatever they were treated with has done serious damage to their shells.

Thanks,
Di
Di
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Donya on Mon May 24, 2004 1:27 am

How and where exactly did the outer layer of the shell come off? What color is the new growth? It's not unusual for blues to have new shell growth that is a different color to the old growth and then to have it even out with age.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby sunnydreamangel on Mon May 24, 2004 1:29 am

My light blues sometimes almost have a growth line that looks black..then the rest of the shell catches up and its all blue again. I used to wonder if the pet store dipped them in something to make them that color!!?? :D Sunny
sunnydreamangel
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Di on Mon May 24, 2004 4:10 am

The shell looks black in the new growth area and the area where the top layer of shell came off. The shell peeled off the front of two of the snails. I found one piece half an inch wide in my gravel. If I can find a place to post the photo I will add one.
Di
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Dimitra on Mon May 24, 2004 4:45 am

I bought an ivory that I thought was painted too. The new growth was nice pearly ivory growth and the old shell was thick and chalky white that was fading away the longer I had him. He mated himself to death recently the poor guy.

Some where out there they are producing snails with excellent thick shell growth like I have never seen in my tank even with calcium from more than 4 sources and daily care. Which I find really hard to believe because we've all seen the quality difference between the store snails or one of our own tank raised snails. Or they are painting the poor snails shells. I still lean to the snail was painted a more attractive and sellable white. :angry:
Dimitra
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Mon May 24, 2004 4:36 pm

If you can get the pic(s) under 500k collectively then you could e-mail them to me and either I could have a look at it and post it to my snail site's server if necessary. I know it can be a pain to find a decent hosting place for just images so thought I'd throw that option out. I use www.webshots.com for most photos at the moment, seems to be pretty decent.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Di on Tue May 25, 2004 5:32 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try out the WebShots as soon as I get a chance. I am working a twelve hour shift today, and I had three clutches that started hatching this morning.

Thanks again,
Di
Di
Member snail
Member snail

Postby SnailMomma on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:19 am

Fasinating... I recall a snail that looked like a painted snail... it was a perfect periwinkle color, and in the back of my mind, I thought, it HAD to be painted... there was no way it could be that color on it's own. It just looked too perfect a color to be real.
:snail: Momma
SnailMomma
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby daj198 on Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:32 pm

That's the trouble, how can you tell if they are painted? They could just be selling cheap types and pretending they're rare.
daj198
Little snail
Little snail

Postby autumnagain on Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:18 am

Check out the "weird, chalky ivories" post under the "species" forum. Yours sounds too much like these "coated" white snails we're finding. It's a long thread, but has some very good photos.

Karin
autumnagain
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Snail abuse