Euthanasia

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Postby Gastro on Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:09 pm

I think it had become so numb he no longer felt it.
"Candy-striped tree snails hung like grapes from the trunks and branches."

E.O. Wilson, 1994

Liquid Land by Ted Levin, pg 60
Gastro
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby SnaiLuv81 on Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:45 am

Eeeeew. But kinda cool, though.
In Loving Memory of Goldie and the Next Generation
SnaiLuv81
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby rosie on Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:41 am

:P Why was it dumb? The only alternative was to die.... :P I want the book he wrote. That's gotta be pretty interesting.
rosie
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby firefly on Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:23 pm

Just another note on freezing fish. It doesn't always work!

Someone bought two large oscars from our competition (most of our workers came over from the competition when we opened up, one of them told me this story). He had them for a short while, and then thought they were dead (or at least one of them was) they were kind of laying at the bottom of the tank (probably poor water conditions). He put one in the freezer (thinking it was dead) with no water!! The other I guess he bagged up as maybe it wasn't quite dead? ANyways, after the one had been in the freezer for three hours he brought both of them back to the store he got them from. The manager put them both in a tank of water, and they both started swimming around!! Oscars are a resiliant little fish--and freezing may not be as fool proof for fish as once thought!!

Emily
firefly
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Gastro on Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:48 pm

One arctic explorer cut his finger off with a scizzors after it had swelled up to the size of his wrist from gangrene.

Andrew

E.O. Wilson, 1994

Gastro
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby nannasmom on Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:06 pm

HOLY SMOKES! :o
I'm staying outta' cold places!
This is just the excuse I needed for that wintering in the islands I've been trying to talk to my husband about! :wink:
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got..."
nannasmom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailstreaks on Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:07 pm

LOL... Andrew... you little ray of sunshine! LMAO
snailstreaks
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Gastro on Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:59 pm

rosie wrote::P Why was it dumb? The only alternative was to die.... :P I want the book he wrote. That's gotta be pretty interesting.

I said numb, not dumb.

E.O. Wilson, 1994

Gastro
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby rosie on Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:27 am

No, not what you said... Ach, nevermind. :)

:dance:
rosie
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby SnaiLuv81 on Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:01 pm

Oh, cutting off his arm wasn't dumb, I think he was just dumb already. I think it's dumb to go out hiking without a map. Cos that's what he was doing, and why he got stuck in the first place. In interviews after the arm-cutting-off incident, he came off as a generally stupid kind of dude.
Let's not hijack this thread anymore than we already have, shall we? LOL!
Missy
In Loving Memory of Goldie and the Next Generation
SnaiLuv81
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Garbage Disposal

Postby Guest on Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:28 pm

Has anyone ever considered the garbage disposal in the kitchen sink? I bet that would be pretty darn instantaneous and non-messy. I used to joke about the garbage disposal to friends, but now when I have read all the techniques here I’ve come to realize it’s not such a bad idea….yes no???

Postby nannasmom on Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:18 pm

rotfl I cannot imagine putting an adult apple snail in my garbage disposal! My adults have very thick shells. Not like an eggshell ... I'd guess eggshell times 20 or so. I'm thinking my hubby wouldn't appreciate having to tear apart the garbage disposal only to find a partially destroyed apple snail. Uh-uh. I don't want to be around if that ever happens! lol
Guest, do you have adult applesnails? Now, pest snails like pond snails, etc...yes, that would definitely work. But, I can't imagine it working very well on an adult apple.
Off topic, once I was cleaning out a quarantine container holding a betta with Ich. I was dumping the water out into the "garbage disposal side" of my kitchen sink when...BAM! out dove the betta and straight down into the garbage disposal! Oh crap! So, I stuck my hand down there and as gently as possible saved his life! lol But, what a trip for him! He's fine now. He taught me to use the other side of the sink for such water changes. :yes:
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got..."
nannasmom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby kuggur on Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:18 am

Never had to euthanize a snail, but a while ago I came across a method designed for amfibians: bathing them in a weak(5%) alcohol solution, for anesthesia, followed by a much stronger solution for killing the animal. This might be a humane option for snails too, as I imagine their skin will be easaly permeated by alcohol.
kuggur
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Stijn on Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:42 pm

kuggur wrote:Never had to euthanize a snail, but a while ago I came across a method designed for amfibians: bathing them in a weak(5%) alcohol solution, for anesthesia, followed by a much stronger solution for killing the animal. This might be a humane option for snails too, as I imagine their skin will be easaly permeated by alcohol.

Yes, if there were no shell and shell door... But it's indeed used as a method in research. However, one needs to put a stick or something between the shell door to avoid complete closure (if the unlucky animal is still able to do that).
Stijn
Magic snail
Magic snail

Postby kuggur on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:26 pm

Yeah, do feel a bit silly not thinking about the shell/door, but I think you´re right , most euthanasia cases will probably not be able to close up.
kuggur
Leading snail
Leading snail

PreviousNext

Return to Snail abuse