Picture Dictionary: (Brigs)

Research related apple snail topics (like relations between species, article discussions, apple snail ecology, anatomy, genetic info etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: pbgroupie, Donya, Board moderators

Visual Dictionary: Good idea! Or Bad?

Good idea!
100%
BAD idea.
No votes

Total votes : 18

Picture Dictionary: (Brigs)

Postby CrystalTears on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:20 pm

Blue:

Chestnut:

Dark Burgundy:

DS Purple (Dark Striped Purple):
(Possibly DSP-CSB=Dark striped purple, clear shell base):

Golden:

Ivory:

Jade:

Light Purple:

Striped Yellow:

Wild:

Larger pictures found at: http://snailinusa.wsnw.net/v/snictionary/

Note: Need help figuring out what the Light Purple (above the wild in the pics above) is called on The List (below).
Last edited by CrystalTears on Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
CrystalTears
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby CrystalTears on Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:28 pm

I have so much trouble figuring out what snails are what colors. Can anyone help me create a photo-dictionary of snails as listed in the SMT Calculator? Pictures about the same size as the one in the original post above. Just pm me the link to the picture and I'll stick it up in the orignal. It'd be great if we could get a full visual list of small, bright pictures of each type.

Also, if your pictures are a lot larger than the one in the post above, I can edit them and host them myself if needed. I don't want this post to lock people up. Or I could use my image gallery to host the dictionary and put a link instead of the pics above. Any thoughts on this idea? Good or bad? Comment please! :)

I thought of this because I'm dumb and I need to SEE examples to figure out what's what lol :)

The list:

Thanks, Erin.
CrystalTears
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:58 am

Good idea! I'll send you some of my colors but I'm not sure what you'd call all of them.
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby CrystalTears on Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:14 am

Ok cool. Put what you think they are next to each pic or link and I'll stick them up here... and if a pro says like... No that's not a <blank> that's a <blank> then it'll be easy to move it.
Thanks, Erin.
CrystalTears
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:22 am

i think pictures should show foot colours as well as shell colours. also there are variations in foot colour and in shell colour so maybe several pictures of each colour would be needed.
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby CrystalTears on Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:25 am

Oh ooh I never thought of that! Good idea! :)
Thanks, Erin.
CrystalTears
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:15 pm

A couple comments based on the definitions used in the SMT program, just to clarify since that program was referenced:
- The DSP looks like it might be a DSP-CSB, the owner might want to check that snail for a clear shell base.
- the burgundy picture has a dark foot, and is therefore what corresponds to dark burgundy in the SMT list.
- the light purples will either be SP (pigment in the shell base) or Peppermint (formerly LSP but removed from the program due to all the confusion I've seen between LSP/SP).
- the 2nd chesnut pic looks like it may be a white-bodied olive...is there another picture of that snail from above? If it is a white-bodied olive, it will be the first I've seen in years.
- top chesnut pic corresponds to striped yellow in the SMT list. In the updated list that's in progress, it would actually be the brown form of striped yellow.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby CrystalTears on Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:51 am

Ok edited and renamed those that you were certian about. Left the others that weren't quite as clear until either we get better pics of the same ones or other pics that more clearly match the list. Thanks so much for your input Donya. :) I'm not sure though what DSP-CSB is :P (Which is of course what this post is all about!) :)
Thanks, Erin.
CrystalTears
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:29 pm

DSP-CSB=Dark striped purple, clear shell base
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby CrystalTears on Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanks pb :)

Is it looking more right on with the list now?

I need more pics guys and gals :) Everything I have is already up there except for -maybe- one of mine... but her shell's kinda icky yet still so I don't want to use her for this.

Anyone have any other pics of snails that don't have a pic?

Badflash... if you're out there and willing... I'd love to have some pics of your SP, Peppermint, and DS Purples if you have them. *lashbats* :P :yes: :lol:
Thanks, Erin.
CrystalTears
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby OnlyEndlers on Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:36 pm

I would love for someone with a great camera to take pics and post them of all the colors I am going nuts trying to decide what color brigs I have. :(

I dont have a good camera or I would do a whole thread with all my colors up.

It is so frustrating since doing a net search by color you come across the same color with different names :err:
Raising Endlers Livebearers and Endler/Guppy Hybrids & now apple snails.
OnlyEndlers
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Scientific topics