Icelandic snails

Research related apple snail topics (like relations between species, article discussions, apple snail ecology, anatomy, genetic info etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: pbgroupie, Donya, Board moderators

Icelandic snails

Postby plxjw on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:10 pm

I wasn't sure exactly where this one belonged as it is related to a non-applesnail species but is also scientific in nature.

I am currently working on a project that is looking at the dispersal of the species Cepaea hortensis from continental Europe across the Atlantic to North America via Iceland, I am hoping to go to Iceland next Spring to collect some live snails as currently I only have data from a single population. I've been trying to find out where across Iceland one might find C. hortensis as at the moment the best I can narrow it down to is the Southern coast and ideally I would like to know some more specific areas that the species is known to inhabit or is likely to.

On the off chance that there are some North Atlantic snailing experts out there, does anyone happen to know whether or not C. hortensis is also alive and well in Greenland? It is another area that I was hoping to get some data for, but cannot afford to go there without knowing whether the species even exists there and have been told by my supervisor that he has no idea about whether they can even be found there any more.

Thanks in advance.
plxjw
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Icelandic snails

Postby khayes on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:01 pm

Contact Dr. Tim Pearce at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. He may have some data or know the answer.

-k
khayes
Parent snail
Parent snail

Re: Icelandic snails

Postby plxjw on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for that (and apologies for the late response).
plxjw
Hatchling
Hatchling

Return to Scientific topics