effect of detergent on golden apple snail in minimum amount

Research related apple snail topics (like relations between species, article discussions, apple snail ecology, anatomy, genetic info etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: pbgroupie, Donya, Board moderators

effect of detergent on golden apple snail in minimum amount

Postby darknesfell on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:12 pm

im conducting a research on golden apple snail shell yet i still have very little idea at all .. i was planning to make a microhabitat which contain little amount of detergent, little enouga for golden apple snail to live for some period of time. ..i have no references at all . . . .my aim is primarily to know the effect of detergent on golden apple snail . . help .. .
darknesfell
Little snail
Little snail

Re: effect of detergent on golden apple snail in minimum amo

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 am

Hello and welcome to the forum. I guess my first question would be are you testing detergent on the shell or on the live animal? The second question would be why? Many detergents are caustic and would burn the live animal. Here's a veterinary link that tells you the dangers to household pets. Fish and other wet pets would be even more affected.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 211507.htm

Here's a better link on detergents and fish:

http://www.lenntech.com/aquatic/detergents.htm

The research is out there in general terms if you search for it.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby darknesfell on Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:12 am

hmmmmmmmmmmmnn. . thank you for the link. . . .I was testing that how will detergent deteriorate the live golden apple snail shell . . .
darknesfell
Little snail
Little snail

Postby teff on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:58 pm

I found this too late probably. Just recently I sued to wash Marisas with a weak solution of dishwashing detergent, because I thought the neglected aquarium water led to growth of strange and stubborn fungus. Nothing adverse happened, because I rinsed the snails under running water. The shell looked real clean and textbook new.
teff
Little snail
Little snail

Return to Scientific topics