Anatomy pictures

Research related apple snail topics (like relations between species, article discussions, apple snail ecology, anatomy, genetic info etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: pbgroupie, Donya, Board moderators

Postby snailboom on Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:27 pm

The penis is on the other side. And when it's out, you'll know. It can extend very far.
snailboom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby rain- on Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:33 pm

So, from left to right (well, in males, not in these pictures), penis sheath, gill, lung, osphradia. When they are underwater, if they are held in hand the gill doesn't show much, I assume. That's what has been bothering me :)

It is always good to ask these questions. Yesterday night I saw a penis sheath of a snail who was underwater and I got the confirmation with my own eyes :D
rain-
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby rain- on Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:39 pm

Penis sheath on the left, osphradia on the right, right?:
rain-
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailboom on Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:52 am

you got it! :)
snailboom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Bluewomble on Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:07 pm

Fantastic pictures! I guess the one above is a male do you have a similar one of a female to compare, I still don't have the hang of sexing them like that.
I'm feeling quite inspried to get my camera out again and get even closer than before. What lighting do you use? I guess not flash?
Bluewomble
Member snail
Member snail

Postby rain- on Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:01 pm

Thanks :) I put a Philips Aquarelle -type fluorescent tube next to my hand when I take pictures of them out of water. Sometimes I do use flash if the snails are wiggling around and not just posing for me. And I usually use fast shutter speed settings with these pictures.

Here is another male with his thingy hanging a bit more than the other had:

And here's a female, no thingies:

I hope these help :)
rain-
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

RAIN-

Postby SunsetSnails on Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:56 pm

Sorry for being repetitive but what type of snail is that in the very top picture - why does it have spikes?
SunsetSnails
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby rain- on Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:07 am

Oh, it's a regular DSP bridgesii, a young one and it is a normal formation for the youngsters. The spikes are part of the mantles outer edge which creates the shell, I don't know why it is formed like that, but I think it might have something to do with the periostracal hairs since they spikes are placed evenly and so are the hairs, maybe they are formed in the spike parts of the mantle.
rain-
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby firefly on Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:59 am

I just found this thread, somehow I missed it the first go round. Wow, those really are awesome pics rain!! You do such a great job with your camera! And, Now I know what I"m looking for with my male snails. Actually, I usually see it when they are getting busy with the ladies (or other gents if that's all they can find). It's confirming the females that is more difficult--unless they are caught in the act of laying eggs!

Emily
firefly
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Previous

Return to Scientific topics