spca for snail-starvation?

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Postby SGcvn69 on Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:11 am

not sure how strong the current is on those.

i wouldn't put them where they can get face to face...stresses them out and they'll die. i have to put a candle in between my two so they don't see each other all the time.

they can eat bloodworms...frozen/live. that's a good treat if yours will eat pellet food. i have not had good success w/ that.

you can order them online, but will cost you an arm and leg. or you can keep an eye out for them at a lfs. you'll have a better chance of finding them at a smaller store rather than chain.
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailLVR03 on Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:05 pm

Well I got a betta!!! its not too impressive bright in color but we fell in love with it. The body is basically cream colored with irredescent greenish yellow and then he has red on his fins. Adorable little guy. If I got a male and a female could they live together or no?? Right now I have him in a fish bowl.
If you stop talking for one second, you'll hear the echo of your words...
snailLVR03
Member snail
Member snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:12 pm

cool! congrats! i would not put them together if you got a girl too. are you prepared to take care of baby bettas? they all need to be seperated into their own containers at a certain age. i'd just stick to one or the other rather than to deal w/ all those baby bettas. sometimes you can house them together if you give the female enough places to hide from the male.
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailLVR03 on Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:23 pm

I wouldn't want to stress the female out either...do they enjoy swimming around and threw ornaments and things or are they content with just ferns? I don't want him to be bored, and right now he seems to be pretty perky and fiesty. lol. :D do they jump out of the bowls a lot? I have cats :o and I'd be afraid of them bothering them....should I cover the top?

~Cheryl
snailLVR03
Member snail
Member snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:11 pm

yeah they like toys. mine don't have any cuz my bowls are too small and i'm selfish, i like to see them rather than them hiding all the time lol. definitely cover their tanks or lowe the water level some. they have been known to jump out and die. good to keep your cats out too.
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:40 pm

Speaking of jumping out...my betta (who has now taken up residence in a small betta-bowl on my desk) has a thing for going whacko when I try to get him out of the tank to change the water and he jumps out and flopps all over the place. I try really hard to get him in a net but he just jumps out before I can cover it with my hand. Last time he ended up in the sink and was running around :err: good thing I had a stopper in the drain. Is there some way I can do that safely without him risking injury every time? I would have thought a net would do it but he still manages to escape...
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:57 am

wow fiesty! you know one or two of my betta bowls are hard to get the net into and i just get a big net (big and deep) and just pour the water till the fish comes out with it. then they can't get out...quickly put the bowl down and grab the net so it restricts their movement, gently of course. and dump him into whatever holding container you have waiting to clean their bowls. then just do the same thing to put him back or pour him back in.
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailLVR03 on Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:37 pm

I got two more bettas...total of three now. Good idea for pouring them in the net, thats the only way I can get them, thanks. One of my bettas swims around the edges of the bowl over and over again!! He never stops!!! What should I do? The bowl is probably around 1 gal...does he need a bigger one?? I feel bad for the little guy.

The two new ones I could are blue. But the one is dark blue with some red of the fin and the other is like a sky blue with cream color on his head and with streaks of blue going through it. I'll try to send some pics.

~Cheryl
snailLVR03
Member snail
Member snail

Humane Society and fish

Postby pdpo222 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:16 am

I was president of our humane society for a couple years and we went to every complaint. Be it fish, snails, farm animal, dogs or cats. We were at the one petstore so often they finally closed. :D Happiest day of my life. Don't know how other societies handle it but abuse is abuse no matter what it is. Pam
pdpo222
Member snail
Member snail

Postby mvigor on Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:13 pm

I'm very confused by where this thread topic is going. :help:
mvigor
Parent snail
Parent snail

Previous

Return to Snail abuse