Fear Factor -- eating live snails

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Fear Factor -- eating live snails

Postby MRSQ on Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:38 am

Okay, first of all I make a REAL point of not watching Fear Factor but while channel surfing tonight I was horrified!!! For the food challenge they were gobbling up live land snails... I couldn't believe what I was freekin seeing. It was so sad :cry: ... they kept doing close ups on their sweet little faces and then they crunched em.. shells and all. I was sooo disgusted.. I don't like that show at the best of times. They are always eating poor little animals that are still alive but for obvious reasons the snails really upset me. :angry: Pigs!!! ang :snail:
5 GALLON-BETTA \ TEN GALLON-GUPPIES\ 25 GALLON- PASSIVE TROPICALS, MIX SNAILS\ 33 GALLON-GOURAMIES, BRIDGS, FROGS, NERITES,MARISAS \ 45 GALLON-GOLDFISH, CANAS \ 55 GALLON-SENEGAL BICHIR, MOLLIES\ 75 GALLON-OSCAR, TINFOIL BARBS
MRSQ
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:03 pm

I had put a note about this in the chat section before I saw your post. I did find it gross and shocking (and that's the way the producers want us to react). There are lots of animals that eat other animals, and I guess we, as humans, have gotten used to killing our food before we eat it. Hence the shock value.

I would rather they use only deceased animals/animal parts in the food challenges. But until enough people stand up and say "we won't watch anymore", the show will go on as is.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby nannasmom on Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:19 pm

I also saw that and thought it was disgusting! I was looking for something my 3 yr. old could watch while I went to shower and landed on that channel. I sat there and watched in horror for a few mins. and then turned the channel. There are some really sick folks in the world. Some folks will do absolutely anything for money and/or recognition. I'm not one, so I just don't understand it. I'd rather do an honest day's work to earn my money steadily anytime. You won't see me offering to eat pig uteruses for no amount of money (that was in one of the episodes that my 16 yr. old told me about). The eating of the snails is a little more disgusting because of the suffering of the animals, not to mention the bacteria and/or parasites those folks were happily scarfing down in competition. :err: :err: :err: :err: :err:
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got..."
nannasmom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby patricia379 on Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:21 pm

Since we humans are constantly raising the bar on what is acceptable (or should that be lowering the bar?) It gets harder and harder to shock people.

Think of all the Sci Fi/Futuristic movies where humans are used as prey for TV shows and 'sport'. Already some countrys allow contestants to undergo painful endurance 'tests'..I've seen some throw themselves into scalding water...etc ad nauseum.

So seeing the abuse of other species will soon not be of concern and we will turn on each other. And we consider ourselves the superior species on this planet? At least other species kill to eat, given no option.

I could easily win on Fear Factor, as one is always safe, but what would keep me off the show is the abuse of the critters.

And snails?? I am glad I wasn't channel cruising that night!!! Poor things. :cry:
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby airwen on Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:12 am

I am so glad I did not see that. It's sick and disgusting... why would anyone do that? How can they put innocent creatures through such pain just so people can get money? It's so sad!! :cry:
-airwen
airwen
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:27 am

I'm surprised no one has sent PETA on them for doing things like that...
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby patricia379 on Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:17 am

Donya wrote:I'm surprised no one has sent PETA on them for doing things like that...

Ohh, hadn't thought of that. Of course, they have their hands full all the time, and sadly enough the critters they use for these shows aren't the ones that warm people's hearts..like bugs, snakes, duck fetuses (NOW that one made me sick) and our beloved snails.

Just shows how low we can stoop to supposedly entertain our 'civilized' human population. :angry:
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby airwen on Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:36 am

Yeah. I actually watched that duck fetus one. Ick.

If anyone would like to complain (I was too chicken to) their main email address that I found is : FearFactor@nbc.com. Please do!
-airwen
airwen
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby da_abdulgani on Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:18 am

those duck fetus is kinda a traditioinal food though. they do cooked it first .though its un"animal" to do it, its just a well-developed egg thats cooked before it got to hatch yet.. :cry:
=David=

"a flap of butterfly wing can cause a hurricane in the other side of the world" Chaos Theory

"to the world you are someone, but to someone you are the world"
da_abdulgani
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby airwen on Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:42 am

Actually this is quite interesting- even though the ducks were fetuses, it was ok to eat them? What does this say about the whole abortion thing?
-airwen
airwen
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby patricia379 on Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:42 pm

airwen wrote:Actually this is quite interesting- even though the ducks were fetuses, it was ok to eat them? What does this say about the whole abortion thing?

well now we are going to a grey area, where one would argue pro and con....what we need to be here, is concerned for the born/living and especially on this site for the snails!!

thanks for the fear factor address, I plan to send off a letter!!! :yes:
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Gastro on Tue May 04, 2004 12:54 am

Donya wrote:I'm surprised no one has sent PETA on them for doing things like that...

PETA is trying to get fish reconized as "persons" in the eye of the law.

At least we can sit back and laugh as the contestents slowly die from parasites they got from raw snails.
Gastro
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby snailhead on Tue May 04, 2004 1:19 am

OMG, i never knew they did that, not only is that grose, but it's just wronge and mean :angry: . why would you kill something that brings so much joy, and bueaty. they are so cute and they can't even defend themselves, i never did like that show. i keep asking my mom why dosn't anybody put a stop to it, because just puting myself in the snails position, i mean something biting and chewing me alive, uh the pain is just too much. well the snails are in a better place now, AWAY FROM THEM! uhh that just bugs the heck out of me. :evil:
i love you boyie! and i love my snails, fish, dogs, cats, birds, sugar gliders, oh heck, i just love my whole zoo! lol...

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/maiden ... /my_photos
snailhead
Member snail
Member snail

Postby patricia379 on Tue May 04, 2004 5:19 am

Gastro wrote:

At least we can sit back and laugh as the contestents slowly die from parasites they got from raw snails.

The snails are probably the ones specifically bred for consumption and kept and raised in pretty clean environments..so no slow death.......for the consumers...

Yeah PETA is now addressing the fishing industry....I live in a town on the ocean side and have watched the fishing industry, at least in this country slowing fade.....due to over fishing..and it is a cruel industry, as is any that depends on taking the lives of others to make a living....humans are slowly beginning to recognize other species as 'people' too and that is a good sign I believe ...and one reason, besides my passion/addiction fairly recently of Apple Snails, is observing any living being and watching them play, bear young and being a big part in their lives, gives us an inside view of them and once personally involved, we can't help but love them and view abuse of them as unacceptable. I never dreamed I'd find snails so incredible, and amusing.
Yep, turn off shows like Fear Factor and watch Animal Planet or similar programs....

:snail: <-----"Snail Rights! Snail Rights!"" yeah!"
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Gastro on Wed May 05, 2004 12:11 am

patricia379 wrote:
Gastro wrote:

The snails are probably the ones specifically bred for consumption and kept and raised in pretty clean environments..so no slow death.......for the consumers...

Yeah PETA is now addressing the fishing industry....I live in a town on the ocean side and have watched the fishing industry, at least in this country slowing fade.....due to over fishing..and it is a cruel industry, as is any that depends on taking the lives of others to make a living....humans are slowly beginning to recognize other species as 'people' too and that is a good sign I believe ...and one reason, besides my passion/addiction fairly recently of Apple Snails, is observing any living being and watching them play, bear young and being a big part in their lives, gives us an inside view of them and once personally involved, we can't help but love them and view abuse of them as unacceptable. I never dreamed I'd find snails so incredible, and amusing.
Yep, turn off shows like Fear Factor and watch Animal Planet or similar programs....

:snail: <-----"Snail Rights! Snail Rights!"" yeah!"

PETA is acutually trying to get fish in general reconized in the eyes of the law. That would make it illegal to keep fish in aquariums without the fishes consent and they want to get a dolphin charged as partner in murder because it ate a sardine!
Gastro
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Next

Return to Snail abuse