SlugBot!

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

SlugBot!

Postby Zafer on Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:13 pm

OMG! applesnail.net'ers! Please read this horrible quote I got from a webpage: a company inventing a robot that gets rid of slugs. How? Check it out!

"When it spots a slug, the SlugBot picks it up and drops it into an on-board hopper, which is about the size of a two-liter ice cream container.

[(""There is a problem with stopping the captured slugs from climbing out," Kelly said. "We may utilize a low-energy electronic shock system to keep them in the container."

And while the SlugBot recharges, the fermentation station is busy turning slug sludge into electricity.

Decomposing bacteria converts the slugs into a combustible bio-gas, which is then loaded into a fuel cell to generate electricity.

Kelly and his team decided to use slugs as a source of energy for an autonomous robot because they are so easy to capture. They also have no exoskeleton, which makes them easier to break down in the robot's digestive system."")]

Check the webpage
http://www.wired.com/news/gizmos/0%2C14 ... %2C00.html
Zafer
Little snail
Little snail

Postby pheonixx on Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:22 pm

Should have known they would be british they are all bliddy mad LOL

Seriously thats a nasty project but you know what farmers are like they dont care about the pest animals to them they are just pest's..Linda
In loving memory of Sid who died 28/07/04
RIP tough guy!!
and also Shaz the snail that loved him and would look at no other snaily guy but him 17/09/04..together forever at the rainbow bridge.
pheonixx
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby nausicaa on Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:00 pm

Geez--my grandmother just used to set out pans of beer...don't think she thought of turning them into electricity! (although maybe she did, she was pretty brilliant)

However...if I could harness the energy that my canas expend while constantly eating...I might be able to lower my electric bill...snail treadmills, anyone? :o
nausicaa
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Re: SlugBot!

Postby AngryOakTree on Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:50 pm

Zafer wrote:OMG! applesnail.net'ers! Please read this horrible quote I got from a webpage: a company inventing a robot that gets rid of slugs. How? Check it out!

"When it spots a slug, the SlugBot picks it up and drops it into an on-board hopper, which is about the size of a two-liter ice cream container.

[(""There is a problem with stopping the captured slugs from climbing out," Kelly said. "We may utilize a low-energy electronic shock system to keep them in the container."

And while the SlugBot recharges, the fermentation station is busy turning slug sludge into electricity.

Decomposing bacteria converts the slugs into a combustible bio-gas, which is then loaded into a fuel cell to generate electricity.

Kelly and his team decided to use slugs as a source of energy for an autonomous robot because they are so easy to capture. They also have no exoskeleton, which makes them easier to break down in the robot's digestive system."")]

Check the webpage
http://www.wired.com/news/gizmos/0%2C14 ... %2C00.html

Wow, this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
AngryOakTree
Member snail
Member snail

Postby firekitties on Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:10 pm

I want a robot that can take care of my snails not kill them!

Someone want to give them info on building aquarium bots that helps care for the fish/snails? lol!
firekitties
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby mariastuff on Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:18 pm

firekitties wrote:I want a robot that can take care of my snails not kill them!

Someone want to give them info on building aquarium bots that helps care for the fish/snails? lol!

:lol: They'd have a huge market for it! Just imagine... a waterproof robot in the shape of a snail that crawls around the gravel all day long to siphon out waste. When it gets full, it crawls out of the tank and to the sink to dump it down the drain and starts again. It would be a goldmine! *runs off to the patent office*
mariastuff
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby firekitties on Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:43 pm

lol. Yup there's an idea. *thinks for a moment* Boy would there be competition when everyone think about it.

*claps for maria* I can't wait! I soo would buy soo many of them.

Be sooo awesome if Maria actually made it come true. You be rolling in money :-)
firekitties
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby mariastuff on Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:00 pm

There are little robot vacuum cleaners for houses now, so it could be done!
mariastuff
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby terribryant on Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:09 am

mariastuff wrote:There are little robot vacuum cleaners for houses now, so it could be done!

My Mom has one of those roomba vacuums lol, at my house it would have a colision every 2 seconds.

I had one of those electric litter boxes, I loved that thing. It broke after 2 years and I couldn't make myself (or my husband) pay $100 for another one.

Terri
terribryant
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pageme1 on Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:39 am

So does the roomba work good? We are getting ceramic tile put in and I'm wondering..... :wink:
Lynda

Snails are like Pringles, once you *plop*, you just can't stop!!
http://photobucket.com/albums/v407/lmpancoast/
pageme1
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Gastro on Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:48 pm

I'm sure the slugbot will be a hit. :roll: Kind of like when the inventer of the mosquito hawk machine went into a cage filled with starving mosquitos to test his machine. I didn't work and the door malfunctioned.
"Candy-striped tree snails hung like grapes from the trunks and branches."

E.O. Wilson, 1994

Liquid Land by Ted Levin, pg 60
Gastro
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby daj198 on Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:17 pm

Clever buy cruel! A bit twisted, the bit bout turning them into electricity. By the way, im british 2! (we're not all crazy, well maybe we are. lol)
U can get robot vacuum cleaners for swimming pools, they go along the bottom, sucking up the dirt and algae, i wonder if you could make a miniature version for a fish tank. hmmm... I might try that, ill keep u posted!
daj198
Little snail
Little snail

Postby GK on Mon May 30, 2005 3:06 am

Forget electricity. I say gather them up, get a blender and enjoy you a nice Slug Shake. ;) :lol:
I can see the grinding now....

(Roomba always reminds me of "Goomba", the brown mushroom enemy in the Mario games)
Life's a dance, you learn as you go. Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow. Don't worry 'bout what you don't know, Life's a dance you learn as you go.
GK
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby PaganBaby13 on Mon May 08, 2006 11:51 pm

daj198 wrote:Clever buy cruel! A bit twisted, the bit bout turning them into electricity. By the way, im british 2! (we're not all crazy, well maybe we are. lol)
U can get robot vacuum cleaners for swimming pools, they go along the bottom, sucking up the dirt and algae, i wonder if you could make a miniature version for a fish tank. hmmm... I might try that, ill keep u posted!

hmm, you may have something there!
PaganBaby13
Member snail
Member snail

Postby GoliathTheSnail on Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:24 am

That's mean... can't you just go green and let a slug go?
GoliathTheSnail
Parent snail
Parent snail

Return to Snail abuse