Neighbor abusing snail/gave it back/now DEMANDS return

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Would anyone return a snail to an abusive owner!?!

Even if owner threatens to call police to lie and say I stole this snail?
44%
What authority if any can help me if necessary?
56%

Total votes : 9

Thank you for your support, prayers, photos and advice!

Postby dena on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:26 am

Starbuck, the giant Apple Snail, is safe with me.

The neighbor, unbelievably, ended up in the psychiatric ward of a local hospital, according to another building resident. How odd.

Dena

Donya: I hope I can get some more film soon and photograph this possible "insularum" next to a measuring stick.
land companions:
Binky, a black American Shorthair cat,
Noah-Anndy, a tortie, a Siamese-mix named Frodo who is disabled; 3 Pomacea Brig adults, Buckeye, Aura and Starbuck and seven grandsnails, 4 Plecos and 3 African Dwarf Frogs
dena
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby snailboom on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:08 pm

Wow, what drama!
snailboom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: Snail Abuse/Thanks to Donya, Jennifer1978 and Bethany

Postby nausicaa on Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:28 pm

dena wrote:Bethany, I am a PETA member and I know we do not "own" these or any other creatures. I am also Vegan.

Hey Dena,

I'm also a PETA member and a vegan, and if you ever need any help in contacting them, let me know. Sometimes it's hard to get the numbers/email addresses from their websites for exactly what you need, but I've been dealing with them for about 15 years, so I know whom to call.

I applaud your caring and concern. :)
~Carrie~
R.I.P. Ophelia--My dear cana. 8.31.05
nausicaa
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby kuggur on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:04 pm

A PETA member keeping pets, doesn´t that go against basic PETA ideals/filosofy? I´m honostly interested, not starting an argument. As stated above (and as far as I know) PETA members consider ownership of an animal unethical, it would seem incompatible with aquarium keeping. Cats/dogs might be a different case, I know mine stay clearly of their own free will.
kuggur
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby nausicaa on Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:02 am

kuggur wrote:A PETA member keeping pets, doesn´t that go against basic PETA ideals/filosofy? I´m honostly interested, not starting an argument. As stated above (and as far as I know) PETA members consider ownership of an animal unethical, it would seem incompatible with aquarium keeping. Cats/dogs might be a different case, I know mine stay clearly of their own free will.

I understand your concern Kuggur. However, PETA stands by the philospohy of taking in rescued animals, which both of my cats are. As for the snails--some PETA people may disagree with the keeping of fish or snails, but I personally believe that if you provide them with a nice, clean, roomy place to live, with good food, and try to replicate their natural environment, then that's really not so bad. They could meet a far worse fate in life than living fat and happy in big tanks with lots of goodies to eat, lol!

It seems from your posts that you keep snails as companions. How do you feel about it?
~Carrie~
nausicaa
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby kuggur on Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:38 am

Yes, I keep snails, and yes it does raise some questions, of course one provides the best care possible, varied diet, offer a life without predators etc. Probably a longer & happier(?) life than in the wild...But it is a bit of a"golden cage" of course, we can´t ask them their opinion and the first ones were taken from their natural habitat. At least they are from captive breeding ;I very strongly disapprove of pet trade based on wild captured individuals, no hermits for me...That said I have a pair of fire bellied newts who probably were wild captured, but Ididn´t buy them; a pure rescue case from a very silly "owner" who was at least responsible enough to see that she couldn´t care for them properly.
Of course this is a sliding scale and everyone has to find out for him/herself where one stands.
kuggur
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby nausicaa on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:08 am

kuggur wrote:Of course this is a sliding scale and everyone has to find out for him/herself where one stands.

I couldn't agree more. It's a personal decision that everyone must make for themselves. It sounds like you're a great caretaker for your companion animals. :)
~Carrie~
nausicaa
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Previous

Return to Snail abuse