Has a pet store person lied to you?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes : 25

PetSmart Lies

Postby Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover on Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:53 pm

I went to buy 2 snails.They had them labled mystery snails and I asked them are these teh regular kind or are they like chinese mystery snails?They said regular.IO bout a blck one and a gold one when I got home I noticed that my black one is a rare chinese mystery snail!IT was a dark olive color with black bands!I don't know a bout my gold one becasue I just thought about her beign one.I will tell ya'll if she/he is one too!I can not beleive that they have ppl who don't even know what kind of brred their animals are!I am glad I got one but I am mad they they lied.
I Love Snails!
Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover
Member snail
Member snail

Postby kuggur on Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:31 pm

Expressing ignorance is something else than lying.
kuggur
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover on Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:43 pm

what?
I Love Snails!
Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover
Member snail
Member snail

Postby SnailTrail on Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:57 pm

Kuggur means perhaps someone informed you of his/her own ignorance.....meaning he/she doesn't have a clue but will have a guess for a sale.

Janet :dance:
SnailTrail
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby snailboom on Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:59 pm

it's is often the case that the Petsmarts employees don't know a thing about snails.

What exactly are these "chinese mystery snails"? As far as we know, Petsmarts is only supplied p. bridgesii in two general colors.
If you bite and ravage each other, watch out--in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then? (The Message G. 5:15).
snailboom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby kuggur on Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:33 pm

Thanks Janet, yeah, that was what I meant, you simply shouldn´t rely on the info you get in any pet store. Of course there are a lot of sales people out there who know their stuff, but they are sales people, and the main goal is selling. Only solution: do your homework, before you go out buying pets.
I´m lucky the (only) aquarium shop around here has interested hobbyists working there, they know their aquarium stuff, but they don´t know alot about snails (for instance they didn´t know that the blue and golden brigs they were selling belong to the same species), but I don´t expect them to(and certainly don´t get mad at them for not knowing everything about every creature they´re selling...). These same people gave me the sound advice to wait a week or so before purchasing some cory´s at their place, as the shipment had just come in, and the weakest individuals would probably die from the travel stress over the next couple of days.
I consider it my own responsability to know what I´m buying, and how to take care of it.(And yes in a perfect world you should get a proper care sheet with your new pet, but well....)
kuggur
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby kuggur on Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:39 pm

Oh yeah, the snail in question might be a cipangopaludina species.
kuggur
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover on Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:43 am

My snial has a dark olive amost black shell with pitch black bands.His/her little arm thing that goes into the air and gets air for the snail is black and white or very light yellow..His/her skin is like brown and black brindle.My golden one has a yellow shell with yelow skin .Pure witeish/yellow air thingy.I don't think she is a chinese mystery snail but I am pretty sure my other one is.
I Love Snails!
Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover on Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:54 am

Well I got to looking at the golden one at this one page then at my golden one and they look alike so I think my golden one is a cipangopaludina but my other snail is not as brindle as my dark olive one .My olive one is grayish on the bottom welll its foor or some say theri suck-shun cup.

Here is the site:

http://members.aol.com/mkohl1/Viviparidae.html
I Love Snails!
Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover on Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:57 am

I spent 2-3 days lookign up apple snails becasue mystery snails are apple snails and I looked up mystery snails also I just didn't look at the rare kinds and stuff.I did do my homework.
I Love Snails!
Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover on Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:17 am

I know thias does not concren snail abuse but I went to a petstore just to look wehn I was on vcation and they had a whiole bunch of hermit crabs :D :) :o :D :yes: :dance: but the biggest one was like fallign out and DEAD eww talk about fishty smell then they had a boa in a large pet porter and the cage it was put in was SMALL.but other than that is was O.K I just hopw they get beter employees.
I Love Snails!
Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover
Member snail
Member snail

Postby snailboom on Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:53 pm

Here's the easiest way to tell the apple snails apart from the vivs: apple snails have 2 sets of antennae, one around their mouth (labial) and the others just below their eyes.

In the photo on those pages, you can see that they do not have the labial set. (Joyce refers to them as "hose nose") and their one set of antennae are are short, and relatively fat.
If you bite and ravage each other, watch out--in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then? (The Message G. 5:15).
snailboom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover on Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:11 pm

My snails have a hose mouth but they also have 2 sets of intennas one is short and fat and the other one is tall and skinny.
I Love Snails!
Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover
Member snail
Member snail

Postby snailboom on Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:14 pm

you've got apple snails then.
snailboom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover on Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:36 am

A mystery snail ius a apple snails I alrady knew that but what kind is my question.
I Love Snails!
Golden_Apple_Snail_Lover
Member snail
Member snail

Next

Return to Snail abuse